We move so quickly in this fast paced world that it sometimes seems like life is moving in fast forward. We are constantly trying to multitask and think about the next activity that we are never fully able to be present in the present. One thing that felt so great as a child was how slow summer felt. Wouldn’t it be great if we could all slow-down in the summer like we did as kids? Here are some ideas to slow down and to be present in the moment this summer!
- Play board games with kids. No matter the age, there is a fun game that the family can play together. Whether it is Candy Land with preschoolers, or Pie in The Face with adolescents, dust off the cards and dominos and start playing together!
- Try to unplug from electronics. This is actually just as important for parents as it is for kids. Make a point to be an example for your children. Set down the work email, social media, and texts while you are with the children. Modeling that your attention is fully on them goes a long way!
- Family bike rides or walks is also a fun idea for all ages. Explore new trails, or go to your favorite park or dessert place by bike or walking helps release endorphins and is a fun way to spend as a family.
- Skip the pool and bring out the water hose and sprinkler. Sometimes the hassle of getting the kids in the car and bringing all the gear to the pool can be exhausting. Try a simpler approach of a water hose in the backyard. Children will love it and bonus points to the parents who join in the fun!
- Play a game of Table Topics. The fun card game can be found on Amazon and has age appropriate card sets for preschoolers all the way to adults! It’s a great way to start conversations and learn more about your family!
Written by Amy Rollo, LSSP, LPC-S: Clinical Director, Cy-Hope Counseling & Speech
Amy Rollo is a Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor and the Clinical Director at Cy-Hope Counseling. Amy has been practicing for fifteen years. She has doctoral level training in the areas of child and adolescent counseling, marriage and family therapy, and adult counseling. Amy Rollo provides counseling and evaluation services in the Cypress, Texas and surrounding areas. Amy’s goal in counseling is to journey with her clients in order to foster positive changes and growth in their lives. Read more about Amy's counseling style by visiting http://www.amyrollotherapy.com/about/